Cycling infrastructure refers to all infrastructure which may be used by cyclists. The cycling network may be able to provide the users with direct, convenient routes minimizing unnecessary delay and effort in reaching their destinations. Settlements with a dense road network of interconnected streets tend to be viable utility cycling environments.
Cycling is one of the easiest ways to fit exercise into your daily routine because it’s also a form of transport. Cycling also:
- saves you money
- gets you fit
- helps the environment
By September 2016, residents of Ghaziabad will have their own cycle tracks. The cycle track under construction across the city is well on course and if GDA officials are to be believed the project will be completed by September.
- In fact, a 1.5-km stretch in Indirapuram along NH-24 is already complete and work is on in full swing at 16 stretches.
- Officials said the project has to be completed well before the 2017 UP assembly elections as it Is Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav’s dream project.
- “A sum of about Rs. 30 Crore is being spent on the cycle track which is approximately 80km in length and we intend to complete it by September,” says Vijay Kumar Yadav, GDA Vice-Chairman.
- In Indirapuram work is on in full swing at eight stretches which are located on roads 5, 6, 8, 10 and 11. The largest 16-km-long stretch is coming up between ITS Mohan Nagar and Tulsi Niketan.
- “At a time when vehicular pollution has emerged as a major threat to the environment, promoting cycling in the city was considered a necessity and that is how the idea was born,” Yadav said.