The Noida Authority is all set to develop two new skywalks for the convenience of the pedestrians. The one that will connect Sector 18 with all the malls in the area is expected to be completed in 2016.
- The consultant for a proposed 3km. skywalk to connect the Sector 18 Metro station with its malls and market complex has submitted its feasibility report to the Noida Authority.
- The elevated walkway will link key buildings, including corporate offices. “This phase will have eight corridors, each of varying lengths and width,” said S C Mishra, Noida’s Project Engineer.
- S C Mishra also added, “There are two major components of the analysis that have contributed to the skywalk alignment – existing pedestrian volumes and existing footfalls of major buildings in Sector 18”.
- It will have a clear width of 5m for pedestrians, with access points at every major destination at an average interval of 100m, based on a study of international design standards for skywalks.
- In total, it will have 25 staircases, 26 escalators, 22 lifts and 30 toilet blocks, and will be supported on 135 piers. It will be illuminated by LED lights and solar powered. The total approximate cost is calculated at Rs. 120 Crore.
- Once construction commences, work is likely to be completed in about 18 months.
- The clutter-free elevated walkway will allow people to move around more easily in the crowded area.